By Madison Stapels
The holiday is fast approaching, with these five easy steps, you will be well on your way to having the St. Patrick’s Day party of the century. Here are some tips and tricks that will make you go down in the St. Patrick’s Day party Hall of Fame.
Create a killer Facebook event invite – go all out. Get crazy with your event description, cover photo – all that jazz. The weirder and crazier you are with these (within reason, of course), the more people will want to come to this St. Patrick’s Day party of the century – hosted by you.
You’re going to need some epic jams to keep the party going. Here are a few of my suggestions:
- The Foggy Dew by the Chieftains – after you see them perform March 3 at Wharton Center, they will become the star of your ultimate St. Patrick’s Day party playlist. The six-time Grammy winners bring traditional Irish music to the world’s attention – perfect for the holiday. And having served as Ireland’s musical ambassadors for over 50 years and counting, there is nothing more authentic for your party than their music.
- Act My Age by One Direction – One Direction may be on a hiatus, but this song from their fourth studio album, Four, is perfect for St. Patrick’s Day. If you want to put on your dancing shoes and dance an Irish jig – this song is perfect for you.
- Beautiful Day by U2 – This classic song from 2000 from this Irish rock band will have everyone at your party feeling good (and hopefully U2 brings the luck of the Irish and it is a beautiful day on St. Patrick’s Day).
Be sure to serve a festive punch for all, and for those looking for something more, a green shamrock cocktail is a great second option.
St. Patrick’s Day Punch:
For all ages (Courtesy of pocketchangegourmet.com)
- 1 container (2 quarts) Lime Sherbet
- 1 (46 oz.) can Pineapple juice
- 1 (2 liter) bottle of Ginger Ale
- Add pineapple juice to bowl
- Add ginger ale
- Add scoops of lime sherbet
This recipe is simple and easy, but super festive and everyone will enjoy it!
Shamrock Juice Cocktail Recipe
For ages 21+, consume responsibly. (Courtesy of mixthatdrink.com)
- ½ oz. gin
- ½ oz. white tequila
- ½ oz. light rum
- ½ oz. vodka
- 1 oz. Blue Curacao
- 4 oz. fresh squeezed orange juice
- Fill a hurricane glass or parfait glass with ice
- Pour in the liquors and top off with the orange juice
- Garnish with an orange wheel and cherries
Step 4: Food
Everyone needs some snacks at a party, am I right? This simple recipe will be the cherry on top of this amazing party you are hosting. Recipe courtesy of simplywhisked.com.
Irish Potato Candy
This sweet treat will be the talk of the party. Despite their name, this dessert is not actually made out of potato, the finished product just looks like a potato! Perfect for your St. Patrick’s Day party!
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened (1/2 package)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 2 1/2 cups sweetened flaked coconut
- 1-1 1/2 tablespoons cinnamon
- In a large bowl with an electric mixer, beat butter, cream cheese and vanilla
- Slowly as powdered sugar and continue mixing to incorporate – scraping sides when necessary
- Add coconut and continue to mix until combined
- Roll mixture into tablespoon-size balls
- Roll each piece in cinnamon to coat
- Once coated, roll candies into a potato shape – if desired
- Set on a parchment or foil lined cookie sheet and chill until set
- Store candies in refrigerator until ready to serve
Step 5: Decorations
No party is complete without festive decorations! Here is an easy DIY project that will spruce up any St. Patrick’s Day Party. (Courtesy of http://www.hgtv.com)
- Bright white card stock or matte photo paper
- Jute (or any kind of string)
- Craft knife
- Paper cutter or scissors
- Banner Template
- Print banner pages on white paper
- Cut out triangles with scissors or paper cutter
- Use craft knife to cut slits in top corners of triangles
- String the jute through each triangle panel
- Use decorative ribbon to tie knots to the jute between each letter
Follow these five steps and you will definitely have the best St. Patrick’s Day party on the block. Make sure to come see The Chieftains at the Wharton Center on March 3 at 7:30pm to get in the festive mood and inspired to throw your own St. Patrick’s Day extravaganza! Get your tickets while you can! There are also specially-priced $15 student tickets available for MSU students using their APID.